Born on Islay, it is arguable that no one is as familiar with its wildlife and geography as Donald James MacPhee. Before setting up his own guiding service, Donald James (DJ) spent forty years as a Gamekeeper on Dunlossit Estate, Islay, the last twenty of those as its Head Keeper. Through ‘Islay Outdoors’ he is now putting this knowledge to work on behalf of his clients, ensuring that no matter how brief their stay on Islay, they have an unforgettable outdoor experience.
DJ and his wife, Isabel, run the Kentraw Farmhouse Self Catering Accommodation in Bruichladdich.
DJ is a ‘Regional Affiliated Guide’ of the Scottish Tourists Guide Association (Green Badge) and can offer half/whole days or a series of days. The walks cover all parts of Islay, Jura & Colonsay’s beautiful landscapes from hill, shore to moor. To talk through your requirements or to find out more Please contact us
An idea of outings that can be arranged
- Historical, archaeological and nature walks. Walks to suit all ages (and abilities) on Islay, Colonsay and Jura
- Seashore Activities – foraging for food (cockling, mussels, winkling & shrimping); sea fishing from the rocks; lobster potting from the rocks
- Beach combing – to suit all abilities
- Guided Adventure Running – to suit all fitness levels
- Wilderness Camping
- Metal detecting & history
- Guided wildlife photography days while running or walking
- Stalking deer with a camera
- Or a combination of several activities.
Fishing – Islay is home to dozens of lochs, many of which are accessible to our guests. We can organise your permits, and provide you with a packed lunch. Boatmen and guides for a day on the hill lochs can also be booked on request. (DJ was involved in helping run the European & Commonwealth Fly Fishing Competitions on Islay in 1993 & 1999). From July onwards there is salmon fishing available on some of the estates. Rods & Reels provided if required.
Bird Watching – Islay is renowned across Europe for its enormous variety of bird life. We are home to numerous species of raptors and on a typical day you may well see eagles and hen/cock harriers. From October onwards the skeins of barnacle and white fronted geese arrive creating spectacular flights in the morning and evening.
Field Sports – With over 40 years experience, we can organise a range of sporting days and packages. We have access to stalking across the island. DJ is a registered Goose Guide.
phone or email for price list